Looking For A Neck Specialist In Thousand Oaks?
by Cheryl Schuhmann-Wertheimer, PT, DPT, October 19, 2015
Are You Looking For A Neck Specialist In Thousand Oaks?
Neck pain is a common complaint among working adults. According to American Academy of Pain Management, 15 percent of all reported pain is neck related. If not treated, the pain can begin to affect daily functions. Full range of motion is required to comfortably perform simple tasks, such as, driving and grooming. Following, are ways a neck specialist in Thousand Oaks can treat and manage your pain.
During your first visit, the specialist will examine your neck and entire spine to determine other areas of discomfort. Next, a physical exam will be performed to assist in creating a treatment plan. This includes:
- Look for restricted range of motions
- Evaluate your sitting, standing, lying posture
- Examine the soft tissue
- Examine the joint mobility
Your past medical history will be evaluated. In some cases, your physical therapist may recommend you see your medical doctor if there are indications of system-wide problems.
Neck Pain Causes
The causes of neck pain are as varied as the list is long. Consider a few examples:
- Injury and Accidents: Whiplash is a common injury sustained during an auto accident. This is typically termed a hyperextension and/or hyperflexion injury because the head is forced to move backward and/or forward rapidly beyond the neck’s normal range of motion. The unnatural and forceful movement affects the muscles and ligaments in the neck. Muscles react by tightening and contracting creating muscle fatigue resulting in pain and stiffness.
- Growing Older: Degenerative disorders such as osteoarthritis,spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease are known to affect the spine.
Once all the above is completed, the specialist will determine a treatment plan. Following, are some of the different forms of treatment you may experience:
- Gentle hands-on spinal manipulation. You will experience small, low-impact thrusts to improve spinal alignment. It also corrects any joint dysfunction. The goal is to return you to normal joint movement.
- Cranial mobilizations applied to the base of your skull. Your specialist will determine a gentle hands-on approach with a variety of techniques. Your pain is unique to you, no one else is exactly the same. Your specialist will determine the best techniques for you.
- If your middle back requires attention as well, you will experience a hands-on technique to free up the thoracic joints and relieve discomfort.
Neck pain can be managed and adjusted through a neck specialist in Thousand Oaks. Through conservative treatment you can begin performing your daily functions again.
If you are experiencing neck pain give the Physical Therapists at Transitions Therapies West a call at