Aquatic Exercise in Thousand Oaks
by Cheryl Schuhmann-Wertheimer, PT, DPT, August 28, 2015
Do you have patients that complain of pain from arthritis, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, back pain or musculoskeletal disorders, have difficulty walking, or want to return to their sport quickly?
If you live in the Thousand Oaks area, and are looking for aquatic exercise in Thousand Oaks, Transitions Therapies West, can help.
We provide care based on the best current clinical research.
According to the latest research aquatic exercise is one of the best, yet underutilized, forms of therapeutic exercise.
- Knee OA – Meta-analysis – Results show that aquatic exercise is safe and effective for the treatment of knee OA.
- Fibromyalgia – Meta-analysis – Aquatic exercise is an effective treatment as seen by results of the Fibromyalgia Impact questionnaire (Stiffness and 6 minute walk test over a period of 20 weeks).
- LBP and CLBP – Evidence suggests that exercise in water is one of the most useful modes of exercise, produced better improvement in pain levels, disability, and quality of life compared to land-based exercise.
- Patients with moderate risk for falling show improved TUG, Berg, and Tinetti tests using aquatic therapy over a 6-week period.
- Athletes can increase their vertical height using plyometric exercise in chest deep water greater than land-based training.
- S/P ACL repairs showed faster recovery than patients who used only land-based training.
Transitions Therapies West has been a leader in aquatic therapy since 1992. Our aquatic programs help reduce pain, develop strength, stability, mobility, endurance, and improve overall wellbeing in our warm SwimEx pool. Our program is also designed to Transition patients to their own pool and/or land program.